Sunday, August 5, 2012

DATING SUCKS.

So, as most of you know, I moved to Provo a few months ago. When I first moved here, I was in a semi-relationship with Kelton, and while I was definitely interested in dating, it wasn't much of a priority for me. I had Kelton and I didn't really mind if other guys weren't asking me out. Then Kelton died, and suddenly I had all this free time from when I used to be on the phone or Skyping or hanging out with him. And now, I really want to date.

But wanting to date is not enough, somehow I have to get guys to ASK me on dates. About a week ago, I went to an institute class where this dating coach lady, Alisa Goodwin Snell, came to speak. Now, she was a great speaker and everything she said made alot of sense, but it also reinforced that I absolutely suck at getting guys to like me. She had a whole list of what guys want/like when they meet a girl, which are listed here:

  • Acting cool, casual, indifferent, and flat in her body language (i.e. acting like a pal), tells a man she does not have faith in him or trust his ability to respect her feminine, vulnerable, or softer side.
  • Giving a man her number, calling him, or asking him out (without his pursuit of these things first) robs him of the challenge, sacrifice, and accomplishment that he needs to engage in if he is to value and appreciate her.
  • Refusing a man’s help not only tells him he is not needed or important, it also denies him the opportunity to experience her appreciation and to feel like a hero.
  • (http://itsyourtechnique.com/2011/02/17/7-signs-he-sees-you-as-a-pal-not-a-gal/)

    All of which I pretty much do not do, or if I do, it is not frequently. That's just the way I am. I'm not super flirty or feminine acting. If I want a guy to text me and he hasn't asked, I give him my number, do with it what he pleases. And if I can do something, I will do it myself, the way I want it done. But, according to Alisa, these things turn off a guy because they don't make him feel masculine or needed.

    But why should I go out of my way to make a guy like me? I'm not feminine and needy in relationships, so why should I act like I am? And why would I want a guy who needs me to reinforce his masculinity by acting feminine? I am comfortable with myself the way I am: pretty, smart, and capable. I've gone through an entire pregnancy without a male companion, I don't think there is much I need a guy for. But I want to get married and have kids someday, and disppointingly enough that requires a man. Also, I enjoy being in love, as long as it is a healthy sort of love.

    My theory on all this is that the man I marry will love me the way I am. I don't think I should change the way I treat men, my future husband will recognize my indepenence and strength and not be threatened by it. So, while I may not get as many dates as a girl who is good at the above mentioned techniques for getting boys (which there is nothing wrong with), I will remain confident in the idea that the guy I will marry is out there and will find his way to me somehow. One of many times that Kelton and I were discussing love and relationships via Skype, he said to me "Well if he is the right one, he will wade through that river, scale that wall, and come to you." I've never forgotten that, because none of the other guys matter, except the right one.


    3 comments:

    1. Right on Alisha. I whole-heartedly disagree with using "techniques" of any kind to get a guy (or girl), because if you are doing that, then they are dating a fascade, and not the actual YOU. If both of you are doing the same thing, and you get married, all of the sudden you're both discovering all these things about each other that you didn't know, and realizing that your expectations and ideas about each other weren't accurate, and it can make things difficult. This is one of the number one reasons why couples have such a hard time adjusting to the first year of marriage. Being real with each other makes the transition into marriage so much easier, and happier.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just had to comment again, because when I read this to my husband, he was really annoyed by it. He said he would never have wanted someone trying those "techniques" on him, and he wouldn't want someone teaching his daughter that stuff either. We're both really surprised that they were teaching that in an institute class. For Heaven's sake - Be yourself!;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Alisha, I love reading your thoughts on life and think you're just awesome. I usually don't comment because I don't want to feel like a stalker or make you uncomfortable, but I just wanted you to know that I think you are so smart in your approach to dating. Girls are already hard enough to read... no reason to add on complications by trying to use "tricks" to impress. I hope you don't get too frustrated by the "dating scene" in Provo. Dates seem to rain on some while others seem stuck in a drought and others seem to bounce back and forth between the two for no reason at all. Just remember that Heavenly Father's timeline is so wise, even when it seems really complicated. I hope you can have a blast making friends and doing crazy fun things, with or without boys. Just want you to know that I think the world of you, always have, always will.

      ReplyDelete